Why is it a good idea to talk to machines? Are mobile apps on the verge of a massive churn? What’s the long game for chat bots and where is this industry heading?
If you haven’t yet, you are welcome to sign up for free to the Hacking UI Master Class.
The Hacking UI Master Class is a monthly series of conversations and lectures with experts in design, development, and technology, in which the experts discuss emerging technology and new ideas.
Watch the recording of this Master Class
Watch the Replay →
(you need to sign up first to access the replay)
You can also listen toa short 3 minute summary (via Summurai):
From the talk
“When Jeff Bezos, CEO of Amazon, was interviewed by Wired Magazine in 1999, he said that the greatest breakthrough he expected was “Windows Instant On.” Bezos understood that there were many distractions that could prevent a person from making a purchase before the time needed to start a computer and a browser elapses. Based on Bezos’s vision, it’s no wonder that in 2016, Amazon Echo was introduced to the world.” –Tweet This
“Chatbots can combine the functionality of several apps such as the travel, weather, and traffic apps into one same interface with one single human interaction needed – language.” – Tweet This
“When you Google ‘What should I eat right now?’ you get around forty pages of results. When you ask a bot the same question, you expect a single perfect answer including the prior knowledge as to whether you are a vegetarian or not, and whether if by going out to eat you’ll be late to your next meeting.” – Tweet This
Matty Mariansky is an expert on bots and conversational design, lecturing all over the world. In this talk Matty will discuss why it’s a good idea to talk to machines, why he thinks mobile apps are going down, and give a behind the scenes look at conversational design. He’ll also discuss what’s the long game for chat bots, and where the industry is heading.
You can find Matty on Twitter and we recommend you follow his medium publication: Building the robot assistant, The Journey to create the digital office manager.
Shout out to our Sponsors
This talk was brought to you by our partner, An Event Apart, who have been hosting the best conferences for designers and front-end developers for 11 years now. If you like the style of the Master Class, then you will love an An Event Apart conference.
Check out their upcoming events, and get $100 off the ticket price with the code AEAHacking.
Catch the next Master Class
Getting Buy-In: Help Future-You to Create Traction
This session is over, it took place on February 28, 2pm EST
More UX & Frontend goodness
- Love what you do, take massive action, and prosper (w/ Ran Segall, Prospero) - May 11, 2018
- How well are we connecting with our curiosity? (w/ David Kadavy, Love Your Work) - May 3, 2018
- What is design if not a way to tell a story (w/ Yasmine Evjen, Google) - March 16, 2018
- The value of free education and building communities (w/ Quincy Larson, FreeCodeCamp) - March 8, 2018
- Breaking down design systems to atomic elements (w/ Brad Frost, Atomic Design) - March 1, 2018
- Don’t be a “tooler”, but a learner (w/ Jason Ogle, UserDefenders.com) - February 22, 2018
- Have fun, create value and do it consistently (w/ Noah Kagan, Sumo.com & AppSumo.com) - February 15, 2018
- Find a niche you love, specialize, succeed (w/ Samuel Hulick, UserOnboard.com) - February 8, 2018
- Designing as ‘Change Agents’ (w/ Maria Giudice, former VP Experience at Autodesk) - February 1, 2018
- Finding Your Product’s Level of Readiness and Manifesting Design systems (w/ Keenan Cummings, Airbnb) - January 25, 2018