Announcements This Week
Join our FREE meetups in San Francisco on August 24th and 25th (2016)!
We’ll be in San Francisco next week and we’ll be hosting two meetups on Wednesday Aug 24th and Thursday Aug 25th. Beers and Pizzas on us!
Wednesday Aug 24th 2016: Our first meetup will be a micro workshop to start off your personal brand. The stuff we’ll talk about is taken from our side project accelerator, This will be a part lecture / part hands-on experience in which we’ll discuss our philosophy of audience-driven product development, the giver vs. taker theory, and the techniques we use to create our content on Hacking UI.
This session will be interactive, and by the end of the night you’ll be on your way and have the tools to publish your first article and build your personal brand as a side project.
Thursday Aug 25th 2016: The second meetup is about Scaling a Design team. If you’ve been listening to this podcast you’re going to want to be part of it! We’re going to go into all the insights that we’ve learned from interviewing the world’s top design leaders, and also talk about what worked for us with our team in Similarweb.
Episode #11: Running Hacking UI as a full time job and launching the SPA
In today’s episode we (David & Sagi) sit down to have a chat and share some lessons from our journey of transitioning to work on Hacking UI full time. We discuss how our motivation is centered around helping others and being the storytellers of the products that we create for our audience.
We also talk about what we learned through the first week of the Side Project Accelerator and touch on what passive income means to us personally.
Together we discuss some of the best hacks for efficient content consumption and also share some of our favorite books and podcasts. We’ll also share some of the tools we used and the tips we got along the way from our friends and mentors.
The Side Project Accelerator
The program works in batches, with only 3 batches per year. Registration for the next batch of the Side Project Accelerator is now open until November 10th, and there are only 50 seats available. Apply now to reserve your spot.
Key points from this episode:
- Learn what motivated us to work on Hacking UI full time, and how helping others is at the centre of the venture.
- Understand why it’s important for designers and developers to be the storytellers of their own products, and how you can make the transition.
- What exactly is passive income? Find out what it means to both of us and how we use each channel differently.
- Find out why “just do it” is the best tip for anyone looking to start a podcast, and learn how your podcast can be monetized as an additional revenue stream.
- What is our resources page, and how we see it could create another stream of revenue to us while giving value to our audience.
- Learn how reaching out to professionals can help give you a head start when pursuing a new venture, like filming and recording video content.
- Find out what is included in the Side Project Accelerator program, and what the number one tip is for video recording.
- Understand why the key is to focus on the message, what you actually want to share and what you want to deliver to people, and then to figure out the rest along the way.
- We all know that consuming content is important for both professional and personal development. Learn tricks and hacks to make this process more efficient.
- Get our top recommendations for podcasts and books and the best apps to use to consume them.
Here are some follow up links from our talk:
- The Side Project Accelerator
- Our event in San Francisco this week on Wednesday August 24th, 2016 – “Time to put yourself out there: The Side Project Accelerator Micro-Workshop“
- Our event in San Francisco this week on Thursday August 25th, 2016 – “Scaling a Design Team: Insights from talking to world class design leaders“
- Pocket (app to read & convert articles to speech so we can listen to them on the go)
- Audible (app for iOS/Android to listen to books)
- Overcast (podcast app for iOS)
- Podcast Addict (podcast app for Android devices)
- Recommended Books:
- Recommended Podcasts:
If you’d like to read the full transcript of this episode, you can download it.
Download the transcription
I Love this podcast – now what?
Show your love #1 – Talk: Talk about it with friends and get the word out! We started this podcast in order to learn and would love to see others learn from it too.
Show your love #2 – Leave a review: Review us on iTunes and tell us which guest you’d like us to bring on the show next. When you review us it lets us know that you like the show and that we should keep doing it. Check out the following image, which describes exactly how to leave a review in one minute.
Show your love #3 – Share: Share this page on Twitter, Facebook, or wherever you can 🙂
About The Hacking UI Podcast
The Hacking UI podcast is hosted by Sagi Shrieber and David Tintner, a designer and developer who are also both entrepreneurs, bloggers, productivity/time-hacking maniacs, and all around tech geeks.
We started this podcast off with the ‘Scaling a Design Team series’ where we talked with design leaders from top notch companies like Facebook, Apple, Invision, and Intercom, to discuss team structures, responsibilities, and workflows.
Now, that we quit our day jobs to work on Hacking UI full time, we will also bring guests on the show that are creative entrepreneurs that we admire to share their experience and workflows.
More UX & Frontend goodness
- Master Class #4: The Soul in The Machine – Developing for Humans (w/ Christian Heilmann) - April 20, 2017
- Master Class #3: How personal AI revolutionized our digital experience (w/ Ori Shaashua) - March 21, 2017
- Intro: How websites actually work - March 13, 2017
- Choose a domain name that will strengthen your brand - March 13, 2017
- Technical tips when buying your domain name (and what mistakes to avoid) - March 13, 2017
- Creative ways to get a website up with no hosting or actual ‘website’ needed - March 13, 2017
- Bought a domain and decided to put up a website? Here’s how you can do that - March 13, 2017
- Master Class #2: Getting Buy-In (w/ Dan Mall) - March 10, 2017
- Master Class #1: This is Our New Robot, He’s Here to Replace You ( w/ Matty Mariansky) - February 16, 2017
- The New Year’s Portfolio Challenge – Winners and Showcase - January 26, 2017