Episode #4: Emmet Connolly
This week we’re thrilled to share with you our talk with Emmet Connolly (twitter). Emmet is Intercom’s Product Design Director. Also joining us on this call is Noam Liss (twitter), senior product designer at SimilarWeb.
Talking with Emmet was insightful, and we learned a lot about the way Intercom’s design team works and scaled.
The Side Project Accelerator
The program works in batches, with only 3 batches per year. Registration for the next batch of the Side Project Accelerator is now open until November 10th, and there are only 50 seats available. Apply now to reserve your spot.
Here are some follow up links from our talk:
- Emmet’s Site (with selected write ups) | Emmet’s Twitter @thoughtwax
- The Intercom Blog – Sign up for the newsletter
- The 666 Roadmap
- Intercom’s 5 guidelines of figuring out the roadmap
- Lessons learned from scaling a product team
- How we design at Intercom
I Love this podcast – now what?
Show your love #1 – Talk: Talk about it with friends and get the word out! We started this podcast in order to learn and would love to see others learn from it too.
Show your love #2 – Leave a review: Review us on iTunes and tell us which guest you’d like us to bring on the show next. When you review us it lets us know that you like the show and that we should keep doing it. Check out the following image, which describes exactly how to leave a review in one minute.
Show your love #3 – Share: Share this page on Twitter, Facebook, or wherever you can 🙂
About The Hacking UI Podcast, Season 1 – Scaling a Design Team
Hi, I’m Sagi, Design Director at a scaling startup, and with me, both in the podcast and working at the same company, is David Tintner – Front End Developer Lead. We are both entrepreneurs, bloggers, productivity/time-hacker maniacs, and all around tech geeks. So you see – these are the topics that we discuss in the Hacking UI Podcast. If you’re into the same things we are, we would love for you to join us and listen in. We think you’ll find it as interesting and insightful as we do.
In season 1, which we’ve called ‘Scaling a Design Team’, we meet with leaders from top notch companies, like Facebook, Invision, and Intercom, to discuss team structures, responsibilities, and workflows. We’ll also be talking to them about design management, hiring, and culture. This is a chance for us to get an inside look at some of the best design teams out there and to understand how they do what they do in drastically different environments.
More UX & Frontend goodness
- What is design if not a way to tell a story (w/ Yasmine Evjen, Google) - March 16, 2018
- The value of free education and building communities (w/ Quincy Larson, FreeCodeCamp) - March 8, 2018
- Breaking down design systems to atomic elements (w/ Brad Frost, Atomic Design) - March 1, 2018
- Don’t be a “tooler”, but a learner (w/ Jason Ogle, UserDefenders.com) - February 22, 2018
- Have fun, create value and do it consistently (w/ Noah Kagan, Sumo.com & AppSumo.com) - February 15, 2018
- Find a niche you love, specialize, succeed (w/ Samuel Hulick, UserOnboard.com) - February 8, 2018
- Designing as ‘Change Agents’ (w/ Maria Giudice, former VP Experience at Autodesk) - February 1, 2018
- Finding Your Product’s Level of Readiness and Manifesting Design systems (w/ Keenan Cummings, Airbnb) - January 25, 2018
- The Falafel Method for UI Design - August 16, 2017
- Take part in the 2017 Professional Development Survey - July 9, 2017