Episode #29: Noah Kagan
Noah has a very open-minded and interesting approach to life and to building one’s career.
Besides running successful online companies, Noah spreads out amazing content online on OkDork, his youtube channel, and his podcast. In those outlets he shares stories and insights on marketing, starting a business, personal improvement, and productivity tips.
In this episode, Noah shared with us his best practices and routines for starting a business. He also shares new perspectives on how to enjoy the process, scaling businesses, and more.
This is the fourth episode of the third season of the Hacking UI podcast – ‘Scaling a Career’.
In this season we have 10 amazing guests for you, who are leaders and influencers from a variety of different backgrounds. Design managers, development leaders, entrepreneurs and product geniuses that we admire, and we’ll be sharing a new episode every Thursday.
Please support our amazing sponsors
This episode is brought to you by Invision, an amazing product design platform that you probably already know about.
The education team over at Invision created a magnificent source of quality learning material for product designers. On DesignBetter.Co you’ll find interviews with dozens of leading designers from companies like Google, Airbnb, Netflix, Facebook, Slack and more.
Discover the design practices that they use that will help you to transform your organization and create better products. Also, you can subscribe to their amazing podcast, read one the four free books they published and put together for you and also, be sure to check out their one of a kind workshops for designers.
Freshbooks is the perfect accounting software for freelance designers and developers or creative entrepreneurs with a small business. They have some really powerful features like integration with stripe, expense tracking and a customer support team who actually works with you to find the perfect solution. If you’re looking to get some understanding of your business and keep track of things without wasting hours of your time, then this is exactly what you need.
Links from the show
- Noah’s companies – Sumo.com, AppSumo
- Noah’s blog – OkDork
- His Youtube Channel
- His Podcast – Noah Kagan Presents
- Twitter – @NoahKagan
- Do leaders need to be assholes?
I Love this podcast – now what?
Show your love #1 – Talk: Talk about it with friends and get the word out! We started this podcast in order to learn and would love to see others learn from it too.
Show your love #2 – Leave a review: Review us on iTunes and tell us which guest you’d like us to bring on the show next. When you review us it lets us know that you like the show and that we should keep doing it. Check out the following image, which describes exactly how to leave a review in one minute.
Show your love #3 – Share: Share this page on Twitter, Facebook, or wherever you can 🙂
Key points from this episode:
- Learn about Noah’s background and how he got to his passion for tech and the marketing world. [00:04:40]
- Understand the expert curse. And why some people who don’t have experience, actually can create the innovation. [00:13:00]
- Noah shares tips for your online presence for your business or your personal brand. [00:16:40]
- Learn about Noah’s business routines that he makes consistently. [00:19:35]
- Understand how hiring people is everything and how it can grow your business. [00:22:20]
- Get tips for hiring exceptional people [00:27:15]
- Noah shares his insights on growing your business and personal brand when you’re starting out, and how to prioritize everything. [00:32:00]
- Learn about Noah’s priorities, and how to set sustainable goals in your business. [00:37:25]
- Find out how looking at death, can actually help you to gain new perspectives about life and how to choose what to spend your limited time. [00:45:00]
- Learn insights about karma and how helping out others is always good and how it pays-off by the universe. [00:49:10]
About The Hacking UI Podcast
The Hacking UI podcast is hosted by Sagi Shrieber and David Tintner, a designer, and developer who are also both entrepreneurs, bloggers, productivity/time-hacking maniacs, and all around tech geeks.
We are thrilled to launch the third season of the Hacking UI podcast, where we hack our way through product design, development, and creative entrepreneurship.
Our first season, was called ‘Scaling a Design Team’, the Second season was called ‘Scaling a Side Project’ and we’ve decided to call this season – ‘Scaling a Career’.
In this season we have 10 amazing guests for you, who are leaders and influencers from a variety of different backgrounds.
We have design managers, development leaders, entrepreneurs and product geniuses.
More UX & Frontend goodness
- What is design if not a way to tell a story (w/ Yasmine Evjen, Google) - March 16, 2018
- The value of free education and building communities (w/ Quincy Larson, FreeCodeCamp) - March 8, 2018
- Breaking down design systems to atomic elements (w/ Brad Frost, Atomic Design) - March 1, 2018
- Don’t be a “tooler”, but a learner (w/ Jason Ogle, UserDefenders.com) - February 22, 2018
- Have fun, create value and do it consistently (w/ Noah Kagan, Sumo.com & AppSumo.com) - February 15, 2018
- Find a niche you love, specialize, succeed (w/ Samuel Hulick, UserOnboard.com) - February 8, 2018
- Designing as ‘Change Agents’ (w/ Maria Giudice, former VP Experience at Autodesk) - February 1, 2018
- Finding Your Product’s Level of Readiness and Manifesting Design systems (w/ Keenan Cummings, Airbnb) - January 25, 2018
- The Falafel Method for UI Design - August 16, 2017
- Take part in the 2017 Professional Development Survey - July 9, 2017