Check out Master Class #3 about AI
Join the Master Class
Episode #12: Victor Yocco
David was fortunate today to sit down and have a great conversation with author and UX researcher Victor Yocco. With Victor he discusses how UX research fits into the workflow, what it takes to create a really good experience, and how user psychology comes into play in design.
Victor also covers this in his brand new book Design For the Mind, where he definitely gives some gems in this conversation that shine a new light on user psychology and UX research. Along with this Victor shares his advice for those seeking to become UX researchers and how to incorporate research into your startup budget.
Please support our amazing sponsors
This episode was sponsored by WooCommerce.
WooCommerce is one of the most popular eCommerce platforms in the world. It’s totally free, easy to customize, and full of great features. You can get 30% off their entire store with the code: HACKINGUI at checkout.
The Side Project Accelerator
The program works in batches, with only 3 batches per year. Registration for the next batch of the Side Project Accelerator is now open until November 10th, and there are only 50 seats available. Apply now to reserve your spot.
Key points from this episode:
- Learn what some of the biggest differences and similarities are between the digital and the physical design platforms.
- Understand what it means to account for psychology when it comes to the user experience online.
- Victor demonstrates how he uses his experience of psychology, understanding of people and the physical world to interpret it and learns how to apply it technically.
- A UX researcher is a completely unique position on the team. Learn why it is critical to have someone always dedicated to doing research.
- Find out why it is important to understand how you researcher might think and what types of provisional developmental opportunities they would require.
- Discover the design workflow and how the position of UX researcher fits in during the different phases of a project.
- Learn the best ways to give designers critique in a constructive and productive manner.
- Victor explains the importance of UX researchers learning to work at a “break neck pace” compared to those in academic research.
- Discover the hacks to getting the most out of your research, and how you can do effective research with a small startup budget.
- Victor share tips on experience and educational requirements for those seeking to become UX researchers.
Here are some follow up links from our talk:
- Victor’s Twitter: @victoryocco
- Victor’s website
- Victor’s email address — firstname.lastname@example.org
- Manning’s website
- Code for 39% off Victor’s book: “smayocco”
If you’d like to read the full transcript of this episode, you can download it.
Download the transcription
I Love this podcast – now what?
Show your love #1 – Talk: Talk about it with friends and get the word out! We started this podcast in order to learn and would love to see others learn from it too.
Show your love #2 – Leave a review: Review us on iTunes and tell us which guest you’d like us to bring on the show next. When you review us it lets us know that you like the show and that we should keep doing it. Check out the following image, which describes exactly how to leave a review in one minute.
Show your love #3 – Share: Share this page on Twitter, Facebook, or wherever you can 🙂
About The Hacking UI Podcast
The Hacking UI podcast is hosted by Sagi Shrieber and David Tintner, a designer and developer who are also both entrepreneurs, bloggers, productivity/time-hacking maniacs, and all around tech geeks.
We started this podcast off with the ‘Scaling a Design Team series’ where we talked with design leaders from top notch companies like Facebook, Apple, Invision, and Intercom, to discuss team structures, responsibilities, and workflows.
Now, that we quit our day jobs to work on Hacking UI full time, we will also bring guests on the show that are creative entrepreneurs that we admire to share their experience and workflows.
More UX & Frontend goodness
- Master Class #3: How personal AI revolutionized our digital experience (w/ Ori Shaashua) - March 21, 2017
- Intro: How websites actually work - March 13, 2017
- Choose a domain name that will strengthen your brand - March 13, 2017
- Technical tips when buying your domain name (and what mistakes to avoid) - March 13, 2017
- Creative ways to get a website up with no hosting or actual ‘website’ needed - March 13, 2017
- Bought a domain and decided to put up a website? Here’s how you can do that - March 13, 2017
- Master Class #2: Getting Buy-In (w/ Dan Mall) - March 10, 2017
- Master Class #1: This is Our New Robot, He’s Here to Replace You ( w/ Matty Mariansky) - February 16, 2017
- The New Year’s Portfolio Challenge – Winners and Showcase - January 26, 2017
- Submit your portfolio for The New year’s Portfolio challenge - January 2, 2017