Episode #30: Jason Ogle
Our guest today is a fellow podcaster, the amazing Jason Ogle, Founder and host of UserDefenders.com podcast, where he creates and shares inspiring interviews with UX superheroes.
Jason started as a designer and a developer in the 90s, and he believes in what’s called “The Beginner’s Mindset”, which means that you’re going to have that student mindset and keep on learning basically forever.
Besides being a product designer and a podcaster, Jason also writes on Medium, where he shares inspiring articles that fight for the users.
In this episode, Jason shared with us his thoughts and insights about how to become an influencer through personal growth and giving back to the community at the same time.
This is the fifth episode of the third season of the Hacking UI podcast – ‘Scaling a Career’.
In this season we have 10 amazing guests for you, who are leaders and influencers from a variety of different backgrounds. Design managers, development leaders, entrepreneurs and product geniuses that we admire, and we’ll be sharing a new episode every Thursday.
Please support our amazing sponsors
This episode is brought to you by Invision, an amazing product design platform that you probably already know about.
The education team over at Invision created a magnificent source of quality learning material for product designers. On DesignBetter.Co you’ll find interviews with dozens of leading designers from companies like Google, Airbnb, Netflix, Facebook, Slack and more.
Discover the design practices that they use that will help you to transform your organization and create better products. Also, you can subscribe to their amazing podcast, read one the four free books they published and put together for you and also, be sure to check out their one of a kind workshops for designers.
Freshbooks is the perfect accounting software for freelance designers and developers or creative entrepreneurs with a small business. They have some really powerful features like integration with stripe, expense tracking and a customer support team who actually works with you to find the perfect solution. If you’re looking to get some understanding of your business and keep track of things without wasting hours of your time, then this is exactly what you need.
Links from the show
- Jason’s Podcast – UserDefenders.com
- His articles on Medium
- Twitter – @JasonOgle
- On Linkedin
- His article – Your Tools Don’t Define You. You Do.
- The story – Children of the Magenta
Recommendations for books
- Angela Duckworth – Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance
- Carol S. Dweck – Mindset: The New Psychology of Success
I Love this podcast – now what?
Show your love #1 – Talk: Talk about it with friends and get the word out! We started this podcast in order to learn and would love to see others learn from it too.
Show your love #2 – Leave a review: Review us on iTunes and tell us which guest you’d like us to bring on the show next. When you review us it lets us know that you like the show and that we should keep doing it. Check out the following image, which describes exactly how to leave a review in one minute.
Show your love #3 – Share: Share this page on Twitter, Facebook, or wherever you can 🙂
Key points from this episode:
- Learn about writing on Medium, and how it’s a great exposure tool. [00:03:46]
- Jason shares on how he started writing on Medium and User Defenders. [00:11:40]
- Learn about Jason’s background as a designer and a developer, and how he got to where he at today [00:14:55]
- Find out how Jason started his podcast to give back to the community and how having a beginner’s mindset helps your personal growth. [00:22:44]
- Jason shares his tips on how to reach out to people in order to find his guests for the podcast. [00:28:00]
- Get tips for starting your own podcast [00:33:00]
- Learn how to get audience with the Commit first-carry out later approach and emails. [00:36:00]
- Understand how to be a user of your product in order to create great products. [00:40:07]
- Learn about the tools that make you who you are and how to know when it’s time to learn and invest in a new tool. [00:47:05]
- Jason shares a story on automation dependency. on letting on our passions drive us and using our tools as a superpower. [01:08:11]
About The Hacking UI Podcast
The Hacking UI podcast is hosted by Sagi Shrieber and David Tintner, a designer, and developer who are also both entrepreneurs, bloggers, productivity/time-hacking maniacs, and all around tech geeks.
We are thrilled to launch the third season of the Hacking UI podcast, where we hack our way through product design, development, and creative entrepreneurship.
Our first season, was called ‘Scaling a Design Team’, the Second season was called ‘Scaling a Side Project’ and we’ve decided to call this season – ‘Scaling a Career’.
In this season we have 10 amazing guests for you, who are leaders and influencers from a variety of different backgrounds.
We have design managers, development leaders, entrepreneurs and product geniuses.