Episode #33: Yasmine Evjen
It is our pleasure to present to you the inspiring Yasmine Evjen (that’s ev-Yan) – Design Advocate at Google, a storyteller and (previously) a Co-host at Material Podcast – a podcast all about Google and Android.
Yasmine started out as a front-end developer and a web designer, doing freelance work, working in agencies that allowed her to work in startups. That led her to turn to interaction design, and eventually evolving into UX design and Product Design.
Little did she know back then, that her passion for Android and Material Design will eventually get her the perfect role for her – A Design Advocate at Google. She’s was a design advocate before she even knew it.
Just Recently, she announced that she’ll be joining the Design Relations team at Google, also as a Design Advocate.
In this episode, Yasmine shared her interesting story and inspiring insights, whether you’re starting out or not, this episode will give you tons of value.
This is the eighth episode of the third season of the Hacking UI podcast – ‘Scaling a Career’.
In this season we have 10 amazing guests for you, who are leaders and influencers from a variety of different backgrounds. Design managers, development leaders, entrepreneurs and product geniuses that we admire, and we’ll be sharing a new episode every Thursday.
Please support our amazing sponsors
This episode is brought to you by Invision, an amazing product design platform that you probably already know about.
The education team over at Invision created a magnificent source of quality learning material for product designers. On DesignBetter.Co you’ll find interviews with dozens of leading designers from companies like Google, Airbnb, Netflix, Facebook, Slack and more.
Discover the design practices that they use that will help you to transform your organization and create better products. Also, you can subscribe to their amazing podcast, read one the four free books they published and put together for you and also, be sure to check out their one of a kind workshops for designers.
Freshbooks is the perfect accounting software for freelance designers and developers or creative entrepreneurs with a small business. They have some really powerful features like integration with stripe, expense tracking and a customer support team who actually works with you to find the perfect solution. If you’re looking to get some understanding of your business and keep track of things without wasting hours of your time, then this is exactly what you need.
Links from the show
- Yasmine’s Twitter – @Yasmine_Evjen
- Material Design – material.io (Also, Check out their amazing tools)
- Material Gallery
- Material Podcast
- Method Podcast – Hosted by Interaction Designer Aidan Simpson, giving listeners an inside look at their journeys and design choices.
- Design Notes – A podcast about creative work and what it teaches us, hosted by Google’s Liam Spradlin.
I Love this podcast – now what?
Show your love #1 – Talk: Talk about it with friends and get the word out! We started this podcast in order to learn and would love to see others learn from it too.
Show your love #2 – Leave a review: Review us on iTunes and tell us which guest you’d like us to bring on the show next. When you review us it lets us know that you like the show and that we should keep doing it. Check out the following image, which describes exactly how to leave a review in one minute.
Show your love #3 – Share: Share this page on Twitter, Facebook, or wherever you can 🙂
Key points from this episode:
- Learn about Yasmine’s background as a designer and how she became a design advocate at Google. [00:05:28]
- Find out what excited her the most back in the days in terms of the work itself. [00:10:00]
- Learn about designers skills set, storytelling, marketing, self-promotion and selling, and why it is important for designers to learn how to do that. [00:11:00]
- Yasmine shares on how she started with Google and started her own podcast. [00:13:46]
- Learn how Yasmine’s passion for Android and Google got her the perfect role for her. [00:19:00]
- Understand how reaching out to people can help you to move forward, and how she did so at Google io and moved forward from that.[00:20:00]
- Learn about the Material podcast – tech podcast about google and android, how she was perfect for bringing the design aspect to it, and how it influenced her career. [00:23:00]
- Find out how Yasmine got to Google and how design sprints excite her. [00:25:20]
- Yasmine shares on her role at Google as a Design Advocate, and shares some interesting insights on that role. [00:34:20]
- Discover what excites Yasmine the most in her current job, and the importance of building unified systems. [00:35:10]
- Learn about Google’s gallery, how is it different and help with design and development handoff, communication and collaboration. [00:41:20]
- The lightning round – get inspiring tips from Yasmine, for designers that are starting out. [00:46:20]
About The Hacking UI Podcast
The Hacking UI podcast is hosted by Sagi Shrieber and David Tintner, a designer, and developer who are also both entrepreneurs, bloggers, productivity/time-hacking maniacs, and all around tech geeks.
We are thrilled to launch the third season of the Hacking UI podcast, where we hack our way through product design, development, and creative entrepreneurship.
Our first season, was called ‘Scaling a Design Team’, the Second season was called ‘Scaling a Side Project’ and we’ve decided to call this season – ‘Scaling a Career’.
In this season we have 10 amazing guests for you, who are leaders and influencers from a variety of different backgrounds.
We have design managers, development leaders, entrepreneurs and product geniuses.